Music is recognised as a very important element of school life, both in aspects of the curriculum and the many and varied extra-curricular activities.
The pupils’ musical achievements are celebrated in a full programme of concerts each year, giving opportunities for pupils to develop their confidence in small, informal gatherings or as a showcase for our more advanced students.
The children enjoy their music, and many take part in extra-curricular activities or choose to learn an instrument. Over 80% of children sing in a choir and over 50% of the Junior Department learn an instrument.
The potential of individual children is recognised early in their school life enabling the Head of Department to nurture and guide gifted individuals. Greenbank Music Department has had many external successes, members of the National Youth Choir of Great Britain, students going on to study at the world famous Chethams School of music as a member of the Manchester Cathedral Choir and pupils entering the Junior Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester.
We have a dedicated and experienced team of peripatetic instrumental staff, teaching flute, guitar, piano, violin, voice and the full range of brass instruments.
Delivering the curriculum
- Each class from Reception to Year Six study music for 2 x 35 minutes per week.
- The Preschool class have one 25 minute lesson with the Head of Music; further music activities will be delivered by the Preschool teacher and teaching assistants.
- The Infant & Junior Departments have one 30 minute hymn practice each week.
- Where appropriate, music is linked to class topics.
- Performance events happen regularly throughout the school year. These are organised so that a variety of groups or individuals gain performance experience in both informal and more formal settings, with differing audiences.
Calendar of events
We have a very busy musical calendar giving the children a wide range of performance opportunities.
|October||Harvest Festival||All Infant pupils|
|October||Informal Concert||Junior pupils|
|December||Early Years Production||Preschool & Reception pupils|
|December||Infant Production||Year One & Year Two pupils|
|December||Junior Carol Concert||All Junior pupils|
|(Includes Junior Choirs, Speech students and selected soloists)|
|December||Y5/6 pupils perform at Tesco|
|February||Informal Concert||Junior pupils|
|February/March||Mothers’ Day Concerts||All pupils|
|March||School Play||Years 5 & 6|
|March/April||Infants sing at Tesco in Easter Bonnets||Years 1 & 2|
|May||Charities Week concert||All Junior pupils|
|(Includes a selection of soloists and small ensembles)|
|May||Grandparent’s Day Concert|
|May||Informal Concert||Junior pupils|
|June/July||House Music Festival||All Pupils|